Looking for the best mens skincare routine but don’t know where to begin? Here is a guide on all of the steps to follow and products you need.
Men’s skincare products were but a small niche market amongst a backdrop of exponentially more products for women. However, more and more brands are recognizing the importance of products that are specifically suited to male customers. Options are expanding and it’s a great time for you, or the man in your life, to start a regular skincare routine.
While men’s skin and women’s skin are similar, there are key differences that can be helpful to note when choosing skincare products. Men tend to have skin that is slightly thicker and pores that are slightly larger, due to naturally higher levels of testosterone.
Additionally, male skin can tend to have a rougher texture and produce more oil. Men also have a few additional considerations, such as shaving and beard care. The good news is that addressing these factors is simple. Healthy skin is easy for most men to attain, with a few proper products and consistent care. After reading this post you will know all of the essentials to create your best men’s skincare routine.
This post is all about the best men’s skincare routine.
BEST MENS SKINCARE ROUTINE
1. Best Mens Skincare Products
- Cleanser. Jack Black Pure Daily Facial Cleanser, $35. Daily cleansing is key for men’s skin. Jack Black’s cleanser has purifying and soothing ingredients that don’t strip the skin and leave it feeling fresh.
- Exfoliator. Lab Series Invigorating Face Scrub, $30. A targeted solution with just the right amount of exfoliation, this alpha-hydroxy acid-infused face scrub addresses congestion, rough texture, signs of aging, and dry skin.
- Moisturizer. Brickell Daily Essential Face Moisturizer, $35. Hydrating and nourishing for all skin types, Brickell’s daily moisture solution contains tons of natural and organic ingredients including aloe vera, green tea, and Vitamin E.
- Shave Cream. Fur Shave Cream, $28. For a clean, close shave free of razor burn and other irritation, Fur’s moisturizing shave cream is a great option for a super smooth glide.
- Beard Oil. Jack Black Beard Oil, $26. The best for keeping facial hair soft and smooth, Jack Black’s beard boosting formula conditions and improves texture without leaving the hair feeling greasy.
- Mask. Baxter of California Clay Mask AHA, $25. With botanical extracts, avocado oil, and kaolin clay, this man mask has everything you need for a youth-enhancing and clarifying weekly treatment.
- SPF. Jaxon Lane Rain or Shine Moisturizing Sunscreen, $32. Non-greasy, lightweight for everyday sun protection, Jaxon Lane’s super hydrating SPF 50 is appropriate for all skin types and features tons of antioxidant and moisture-boosting ingredients.
2. Mens Skin Care Tips
Keep it clean and simple – If a multi-step routine is too time-consuming, or just not your style, you can still reap all the benefits of a solid skincare regimen by choosing just a few good products and sticking to a minimalist protocol. (Bonus: Keeping it simple will also ensure that you’re more likely to stick to it!)
For maintaining your skin, cleansing, hydration, and protection are the most important steps, so a face wash, followed by moisturizer and SPF may be the only three steps you need. You could also choose a moisturizer with sun protection for an even speedier routine.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
A very common misconception about men’s skin is that it is already oily and therefore doesn’t need moisturizer. However, this is false. Moisturizers are what provide your skin with deep hydration and all skin types need H2O. Without proper hydration, the skin can become more prone to oiliness in order to compensate for a lack of water in the skin.
For best results, look for a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic (meaning it won’t clog pores or cause breakouts) and balancing for the skin. Moisturizer should be applied at least once daily but can be used multiple times per day if the skin feels dry or depleted.
Consistency is key
A good way to think of your skincare is as your workout for your face. And like any fitness routine takes time to produce results, skincare is very similar. Just as your skin problems likely didn’t develop overnight, they won’t go away so fast either. The skin takes at least 28 days to complete one cellular turnover cycle, so remember to be patient and don’t give up if you don’t see an immediate transformation.
One tip we love for tracking results is to take photos of your skin and check your progress regularly. While it may be difficult to see changes day to day, comparing photos week to week or month to month will help you get a more accurate overview of any changes taking place.
Facial hair care is a must
Whether you’re encouraging beard growth or shaving on a daily, it’s a good idea to show this part of your face some extra care and attention. Shaving regularly helps to naturally exfoliate the skin, but can sometimes cause irritation or ingrown hairs without the proper tools and products.
For this, we recommend investing in a quality razor, a good shaving cream that is moisturizing and skin-friendly, and a good nourishing beard oil for all the days you forego a close shave. Look for ingredients such as botanical oils, which work to soften the skin and leave it super smooth.
Protect your skinvestment
Last but definitely not least, sun protection is perhaps the most important step in any skincare routine. Without it, you may be wasting your money on other products and treatments, as UV exposure can deeply damage the skin and undo all your good work.
Regardless of the temperature or weather outside, the daily application of an SPF is critical for protecting your skin against discoloration, premature aging, irritation, redness, sunburn, and certain cancers. Look for products with a sun protection factor of 30 or more, and be sure to reapply every two hours if you will be out in the sun.