To say that the pandemic has changed our lives would be quite an understatement. In fact, nearly every aspect of who we are has been shaken up in some form or another – from working, shopping, and of course…fashion.
For a while, people were throwing on cozy pants and sweatshirts. Indeed, my tracksuit collection bulked up tremendously during that time period. But as we head into another season, you’ll find that more and more people are embarking on the dopamine fashion trend 2022 brought on. This is to regain self-expression, joy, and control.
So, What Is Dopamine Dressing?
The science behind dopamine colors are all about dressing for your mood. Bringing a little biology into this, dopamine is one of those happy hormones in your brain. When you happen to have high levels of that, you’ll feel pretty darn amazing. The cool thing is that dopamine can be naturally activated/released in tons of different ways, such as exercising, music, etc. And in the fashion world, it can be achieved by dopamine dressing.
In short, wearing certain colors, textures, and styles that fit your personality can help elevate your dopamine levels. In return, you get to experience bursts of energy, motivation, and happiness. Undoubtedly post-pandemic, people began craving that sense of self-expression and mood control, ultimately surfacing the dopamine fashion trend of 2022.
How To Nail The Trend: Dopamine Fashion 2022
What is dopamine dressing? It is all about dressing outside the confines of the dress code; it is about dressing vibrant, bold, loud, and more importantly, for yourself. To date, there are four trending categories going on, which include fuchsia outfits, emerald-green dresses, color-blocking outfits, and pink shoes. However, the best part of this dopamine fashion trend is that there is no right or wrong answer. Below are some dopamine dressing tips and concepts to keep in mind.
Dopamine Dressing Meaning
1. Use Color Therapy – This is an approach that can without a doubt help accentuate your body’s energy, enhance your mood, and even heal certain aspects of your emotional health. Knowing this, dress in colors that make you feel happy and alive regardless of what others are doing or wearing. For example, even though pink shoes are trending in 2022, go with bright yellow if that makes you feel more yourself and happier.
2. Experiment With Texture – Colors may be important in how you feel, but so is texture. Currently, creating outfits using multiple textures has become popular in mainstream fashion, with velvet, tulle, and crochet being increasingly popular today. I would even add satin to this list. Scope out different textures that appeal to you and don’t be afraid to mix/match them to get that dopamine boost.
3. Take It A Piece At A Time – Fashion can get overwhelming if you try to form it all at once, no matter what trend you are following. Because of that, start with one dopamine color piece as a base and begin adding creative flair to it from there. Build your look around that, and it can help form that bold, vibrant look without feeling overwhelmed during the process.
1. Layering an oversized colored blazer over a standard black crop-top and cargo trousers. This is a chic way to create a dopamine look without going full-blown neon.
2. Opt-in for green and orange color combinations since these two sit next to yellow on the color wheel. If you ever have doubts about proper color matching, always turn to the color wheel for support.
3. Head to toe bold color. Think all blue, all pink, or even all bright orange like Queen Elizabeth and Lizzo stapled.
4. Anything pink and yellow or pink and orange will go great together. Something like a printed clash and pink shoes, and perhaps a Dior bubble gum pink saddle bag to top it off.
For some visual inspirations and examples, click here to scan through the dopamine color looks featured during Copenhagen Fashion Week 2022.
Final Thoughts – Dress To Be Happy
Generally, our wardrobes have undergone a massive transformation these last couple of years. On the other hand, change is not always bad! Going from gray sweats to punchy colors is something that has helped pull people out of this depressive funk.
Absolutely do not be afraid to explore the dopamine fashion trend 2022 brought on. Dressing for happiness can be just as pleasurable as it is beneficial. Have some fun with it! As a rule, remember to always do and wear what you love.